"Conversations about Gambling" has been broadcast on WUFO 1080 AM, from Buffalo, NY, 12:30-1:00 pm, every Monday since April 4, 2010.
Its purpose is to educate and inform the community, and to encourage conversation on the subject of gambling, which has often been ignored, misunderstood, or blindly accepted - despite its increasing impact on the economic and social health of our communities.
Our website, conversationsaboutgambling.org
, provides basic information and links to related websites.
We have interviewed guests with experience and/or expertise in a number of areas. They have included:
- Judge Mark Farrell (founder of Gambling Treatment Court),
- Robert Schulman (a pediatrician who has worked with teen gambling problems),
- Sandra Adell (professor of African-American Studies, U. of WI/Madison, author of CONFESSIONS OF A SLOT MACHINE QUEEN: A MEMOIR)
- James David Audlin (Distant Eagle) and Doug George Kanentiio (Native American opponents of casino gambling),
- Les Bernal and Tom Grey (officers of the national anti-gambling organization, Stop Predatory Gambling)
- Joel Rose and Mary Bartley (current and former co-Chairs of CACGEC)
- Charlotte Wellins (educator and gambling recovery expert)
- A number of recovering compulsive gamblers and family members, participants in GA and Gam-Anon, who discuss their experiences with addiction and recovery.
We have also had some strictly call-in programs, and have received a number of calls from community members, with various concerns about gambling.